3/5/09
Murata Apartment, Fukuoka

Kadasan, the head boss, is really pushing me to answer the phone at the office. I'm really not very good at it, and tend to end up just confusing whoever is on the other end, but he keeps telling me to do it. Y'know, I'm flattered that he has such high confidence in my Japanese ability that he thinks that I can do this, but this is starting to get ridiculous.

Today I played in my first futsal game. We got our butts handed to us, but we're just playing for fun.

A tutor gave us a lift to Hawks Town (the place with the futsal court), she had two sons, Tomoya and Shota. On the way back, she said that she had been considering hosting me, but decided not to because she was afraid she wouldn't have enough room for my bags. I think I'm traveling pretty light, at least compared to the other interns... it's one wheelie bag and a duffel bag. The only way she would have considered my bags is if Mr. Murata had mentioned them at the tutor meeting the other day. That means that all the tutors in the area have now heard that I have tons of scary luggage. Murata must like me, because this means that I may be staying at his place for a fair bit longer than the week or so that the original plan was.

4 comments:

mamagotcha said...

Moshi moshi! To whom may I direct your call?

Scary luggage? With little feet, perhaps?

Edith is pretty ill... a postcard would be a kindness.

Jeff said...

Maybe the impression being passed around wasn't of the luggage while packed, but of the stuff while unpacked?

Jeanette said...

I second what your dad said!

Cordell Newmiller said...

You'd think, but I hadn't even unpacked before that meeting. Come to think of it, I still haven't really unpacked much. I don't really have my own room in this house, just a little corner of the tatami room.

It's worth mentioning that this little white-lie thing is a very common part of Japanese culture. From the tutor's point of view, she was giving me a compliment (I like you and wanted to host you, but something that can't be helped prevented it). Japanese people don't generally question or think on comments like that.

~Cordell